My journey from an everyday lecturer to a celebrated keynote speaker is a tale that seems straight out of a movie.
The thrill of public speaking, a domain that challenges even the bravest, has been my playground.
Let me share with you my story of transformation and growing confidence, a narrative that’s both entertaining and inspiring.
The Unforgettable First Time
I clearly remember my first encounter with public speaking.
It’s an experience that’s etched in my memory, particularly the first time.
You might wonder, how did I transition from an academic lecturer to a master in the speaking arena?
Let’s delve into my captivating journey.
The Lecturer’s Leap
You might think that lecturing students every day would make public speaking easy for me.
But the truth is, addressing students and facing a diverse audience at an international conference are completely different experiences.
My journey to build rock-solid confidence involved overcoming a series of unique challenges.
Diverse Roles, Diverse Stages
My path to mastery was marked by diverse stages:
- University Lectures
- Technical Conferences (Domestic and International)
- Invited Talks (Global)
- Delivering Keynote Addresses
- Panel Moderator
- Panel Member (With and Without Scripts)
- YouTube Channel (MIMOS) – Videos 1 & 2
- TV Program – Gizmo Segment (Recorded)
- National Radio Shows
- TV Program – Selamat Pagi Malaysia (Live Broadcast)
Each role, from R&D Director at MIMOS facing management with project proposals and updates, to CEO of my startup, Favoriot, required a unique set of skills.
Pitching and presenting to customers, and being an invited speaker or moderator, all demanded not just knowledge but the ability to engage and persuade.
Conquering the Confidence Conundrum
My strategy for overcoming the fears of public speaking evolved alongside my career:
- Tailored PowerPoint slides for every audience
- Selecting topics that captivate
- Deep-diving into current affairs for content
- Regular practice to refine my delivery
- Engaging with every member of the audience
- Mind mapping to structure my thoughts
- Rigorous preparation well ahead of time
- Constantly updating my material
- Mingling with attendees to build rapport
- Weaving conference themes into my talks
- Storytelling to connect on a personal level
- Injecting humor to keep the mood light
Conclusion: Embracing My Mastery
Through my roles as a lecturer, R&D Director, CEO, and public speaker, I’ve learned that mastering public speaking is more than just conveying a message; it’s about creating a bond with your audience and leaving a lasting impact.
This journey has taught me that speaking is an art, a strategy, and a way to express your true self.
Remember my story as you step onto your stage.
Like me, you may find your unique path from the quiet of the lecture hall to the bright lights of the speaking world.